2 medium sized butternut squash
1 large white onion
2 stalks celery
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise
1 bay leaf
3 oz Captain Morgan’s Spiced Rum
150 ml white wine
750 ml chicken stock (or water for vegetarians)
100 ml 35% cream
Kosher Salt & fresh cracked pepper
1. Cut the squash down the center, lengthwise. Scoop out seeds (these can be cleaned, oiled, seasoned and roasted for garnish). Place halves skin side down and drizzle with olive oil, season with fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt.
2. Roast in oven @ 300F until very tender
3. Remove, let cool to room temperature, and scoop flesh away from skin. Set aside.
4. Roughly slice onions, leek and celery.
5. In a large pot, sweat in butter with cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise, bay leaf, and vanilla pod (halved lengthwise) until translucent (5-10 min low heat)
6. Deglaze the pot with rum, and simmer to reduce until dry
7. Add white wine, simmer to reduce by half
8. Add the squash and chicken stock, bring to simmer and reduce slightly to concentrate flavour
9. Add cream, simmer to reduce slightly
10. Remove bay leaf & vanilla pod
11. Puree in blender, in batches
12. Press through fine strainer
13. Season to taste with kosher salt, cracked pepper, lemon juice, maple syrup and freshly grated nutmeg